Important Notes Regarding Our Degree Requirement Check Sheets
The Department of Design's Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) in Design features four concentrations. The requirements for each concentration are documented in the academic catalog as well as the degree requirement check sheet for that concentration.
Each student can expect that the degree requirements laid out on the degree requirement check sheet for their concentration effective for the semester that they're admitted should remain true for them throughout their time in KU Design. In order to adapt our curriculum in anticipation of developments in Design professions, KU Design faculty periodically revise our curriculum. These revisions generally only apply to students beginning their studies in KU Design the year following the approval of these revisions in order to avoid confusion for students currently completing the program.
For instance, students who began their studies in KU Design between fall 2015 and summer 2016 should follow the degree requirements outlined on the Fall 2015-Summer 2016 Degree Requirement Check Sheets. Students who began their studies in KU Design between fall 2017 and summer 2019 should follow the Fall 2017-Summer 2019 Degree Requirement Check Sheets, and so on.
However, faculty will sometimes approve minor changes to the curriculum to be effective immediately. When that happens, such changes will be documented below for the affected degree requirement check sheets.
These degree requirement check sheets are a guide to our curriculum but do not replace the important role of regular academic advising. Students in KU Design are required to meet with our advisor at least once per semester to verify their track to graduation and finalize a plan for the next semester's enrollment.
Fall 2015-Summer 2016 Degree Requirement Check Sheets (PDF)
- Effective fall 2017, the Photography concentration changed its name from "Photo Media" to "Photography" to reflect the focus of the program.
- Effective spring 2019, the Photography concentration changed its course code from "PHMD" to "PHTO" to reflect the change of the name of the program.
- Effective fall 2019, the Photography program changed the following course numbers in order to allow for the potential creation of a Photography minor (credit earned under the old course numbers is still valid and fulfills the same degree requirements):
- PHTO 201 is now PHTO 303
- PHTO 202 is now PHTO 304
- PHTO 301 is now PHTO 313
- PHTO 302 is now PHTO 314
- Effective spring 2018, Visual Communication students are required to take VISC 520 in the spring of their third year in the program rather than the fall semester of their fourth year of the program.
- Effective spring 2018, Visual Communication students have the option to take a VISC elective studio or an ADS 560 studio in place of the VISC 414 requirement.
Fall 2017-Summer 2019 Degree Requirement Check Sheets (PDF)
Fall 2019-Summer 2021 Degree Requirement Check Sheets (PDF)
Fall 2021+ Degree Requirement Check Sheets (PDF)
Questions? Please contact our advisor!