FERPA/Delegate Access

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) gives students certain rights regarding their education records including the following:

(1) The right to inspect and review the student's education records within 45 days of the day that the University of Kansas (KU) receives a request for access.

Students should submit written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or the KU Privacy Office. The KU official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the KU official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.

(2) The right to request amendments of the student's education records that the student believes is inaccurate.

Students may ask KU to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate. They should write the KU official responsible for the record (see KU Student Records Policy) clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate. If KU decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, KU will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

(3) The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.

One exception, which permits disclosure without consent, is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by KU in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom KU has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Regents; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the "University personnel who have a demonstrably legitimate need to review records in order to fulfill their official professional responsibilities." Upon request, KU may disclose Education Records without consent to officials of another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll.

(4) The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by KU to comply with the requirements of FERPA.

The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-5901

For more information, contact:

ATTN: Cindy Sanders
Office of the University Registrar


How can I manage who has access to my information through FERPA?

Students may, at their discretion, authorize access to their student records to a third party. This access can be granted or revoked at any time. For more information about the process for granting this access (referred to as Delegate Access), visit the Office of the University Registrar's website!