Grade Replacement for Repeat Courses

In certain circumstances, a student who takes a course at KU and receives a C+, C, C-, D+, D, D- or F in that course may retake that course at KU for Grade Replacement. The new grade earned when retaking that class may then be used in place of the original grade for purpose of GPA calculation. Students should note the following requirements for eligibility for Grade Replacement:

  • The course must be numbered 000-699 and have been taken in the Fall 2001 semester or thereafter. Classes taken from Fall 2001 through Summer 2007 must have been requested by the student during the semester as qualifying for this policy. Beginning in Fall 2007, this policy automatically applies to classes that meet the criteria outlined in this section.
  • This policy is only open to undergraduate students. Courses taken as a graduate student do not qualify for this policy.
  • The original grade earned can not be the result of an academic misconduct sanction of “Reduction of Grade for the Course.”
  • Students may only repeat a course for grade replacement a maximum of five (5) times. This means a student may only repeat five courses once, or repeat a combination of a single course or multiple courses for a total allotment of five grade replacement opportunities.  Multiple repeats for grade replacement of a course are discouraged, but not explicitly prohibited. The time and date of registration of the course repeat(s) enrollment will be used to determine the limit of five repeat courses for grade replacement.
  • Each attempt to improve and replace a course grade by repeating a course will reduce the number of repeats for grade improvement available to the student, regardless of the grade earned in the repeat of a course.
  • For each attempt to improve and replace a course grade by repeating a course, the grade recalculation will happen by default using the higher of the original or repeated course grades as follows:
    • If the higher grade was earned in a retake of the course, this will be considered course and grade replacement. The original course and grade will remain on the transcript, but will NOT be included in the calculation of GPA.
    • If the grade earned for any repeated course is lower than the original course grade, the lower grade will be shown on the transcript but will NOT be included in the calculation of the GPA.
    • If a student makes multiple attempts to replace a course grade by repeating the course multiple times (up to the limit of five times), and achieves a higher grade, this grade will be considered the course and grade replacement. The original and repeated courses and grades will appear on the transcript but the inferior grades will not be included in the GPA calculation.
  • Only the original course (department, number and original number of credit hours) may be retaken for course and grade replacement. A similar course (different department, or number, or credit hours) will not be considered for course and grade replacement.
  • This policy may not be used to replace course(s) and grade(s) that have been applied to a baccalaureate degree already awarded by the University of Kansas.

This policy is documented in the University Senate Rules and Regulations (USRR) 2.2.9.

Questions? Contact Zac Shields!