Apply to the MA
Graduate education in the Department of Design emphasizes the development of skills and expertise to allow graduates to exhibit leadership in the ever-expanding domain of design. The Department currently offers a Master of Arts in Design (M.A.) degree with 3 concentrations: Design Management, Environmental Design, Interaction Design.
Master of Arts in Design (M.A.)
The Design Management M.A. concentration educates students in the theory, methods, and practices relevant to managing design in an organizational and business context. The program gives students the requisite knowledge to augment their professional skills and abilities, perform as effective design managers, and advance their careers.
The Environmental Design M.A. concentration educates students in the theory, methods, and practices of design for the built environment. This program prepares students for professional practice in integrated multi-disciplinary design practice. *Applications to the MA in Environmental Design are not being accepted at this time.
The Interaction Design M.A. concentration educates students in the theory, methods, and practices of interaction design. It gives students the requisite professional knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform as interaction designers.
By permission of the Kansas Board of Regents, application for admission to graduate programs in the Department of Design may be refused if available instructional space does not allow addition of more students.
A departmental graduate faculty committee reviews transcripts and evaluates applications to determine admission qualifications. Applicants to either the M.F.A. or M.A. program must have undergraduate and/or professional backgrounds judged by the Graduate Faculty to be appropriate preparation for the specialization selected.
KU does not accept paper applications for admissions. Please use the online application form.
Fall: Priority deadline is April 15; Final deadline is July 1
Spring: Priority deadline is November 15; Final deadline is December 1
A complete application for admission consists of the following materials:
- Graduate application fee ($55 for Domestic applicants or $75 for International applicants).
- Curriculum Vitae or resume.
- A statement of design philosophy and approach.
- One unofficial copy of the transcript where the undergraduate degree was confirmed and one copy of the transcript where any graduate degree/credit was earned (if applicable).
- Three recommendations from people in a position to comment on your abilities and performance.
- GRE scores (degree code 2405; institution code 6871).
- A portfolio of your design work or samples of written work or other creative artifacts you have produced if your previous degree was not in a design related discipline. Portfolio content should represent the scope of your experience, knowledge, skills and abilities to date. Please include documentation of each project: the challenge it was intended to address, the process involved, your role and the role of others in its execution. We prefer receiving the portfolio digitally (upload under “other documents” during the on-line application process). The portfolio is limited to 10 megabytes (not zipped) in PDF format.
International Applicants should also submit:
- Official TOEFL or IELTS score report if English is not your native language or if you do not have a degree from an accredited U.S. college or university.
- Financial statement showing you have funds for your first year of study. The financial statement may be submitted after the admission decision is made.
Please contact the Admissions Coordinator if you have any questions: Gera Elliott, email@example.com or 785.864.3167.