LAWRENCE — The University of Kansas chapter of Mortar Board, a national honor society for college seniors, recently selected five faculty members to receive Outstanding Educator Awards. The recipients were announced at the Nov. 17 men's basketball game against South Dakota State University in Allen Fieldhouse.
This year's Mortar Board Outstanding Educators:
- Susan Williams, professor of chemical & petroleum engineering
- Shannon Portillo, associate professor of public affairs & administration
- Andrea Herstowski, department chair and associate professor of design
- Yvonnes Chen, associate professor of journalism
- Beverly Mack, professor emerita of African studies.
Mortar Board members select Outstanding Educators for their devotion to academia, teaching style, accessibility, knowledge of their subject and other special qualities unique to the educator.
Mortar Board membership is based on distinguished achievement in scholarship, leadership and service. KU’s Torch chapter became part of Mortar Board in 1924, making it one of the oldest collegiate chapters of the national honor society.